Tinker CAD Pen model



            In Object Design course at AUArts, I watched a documentary called Objectified by Gary Hurwitz. The video talked about the process in which objects are made, the range of common objects like toothbrushes, to more elaborate computers and smart devices. The documentary can be considered mundane because people are both used to common objects and not giving much thought to them. However, the thoughts, philosophies, and elaborate brainstorming that each designer in the documentary show are constructed deeply and have a resonating impact. Each object's design is given special care to make people's life convenient and appeal to their aesthetic sense. These objects leave a mark on the world and show a part of their designer to everyone who uses it. 


Although it wasn't necessary for the assignment, I decided to start with some sketches and brainstorming. I was inspired by Naoto Fukasawa, one of the designers in Objectified. He explains about interaction design that the object design should focus on convenience, simplicity, and the way to make people use that product subconsciously. I started with the idea that the pen should be environmentally friendly because I wanted my design to be beneficial to the earth. All objects that people designed will often eventually become garbage. Because of that, the garbage the pen produces should ideally have little impact on our planet. To achieve this, my ink cartridge design is to be replaceable by simply screwing on and off the cartridge and tip on and off. I also did some research for some common pen grips. There was one that was a rubber tube that was a bit thicker at the end near the tip of the pen, and there was one where it was a thick rubber triangular prism that has more elaborated spots for each finger to rest on. I decided to do create a hybrid of the circular and triangular grip. This can give flexibility to people to be comfortable when they are placing their hand anywhere on the grip that gives more security for the grooves. 





The tips of the pen are screwed on the top of the body of the pen and the near the top of the ink cartridge. This ensures that when you are writing with the pen, the movement of the tip would be very minimal. The tips are easily replaceable with new ones, and they only take little space allowing easy disposal.




Overall, the design of the product is simple. The program TinkerCad is relatively accessible, but it still takes time to get used to because TinkerCad is a technical program. There are a few parts that make me feel that I could have optimized certain parts of my modelling, but I think I tried my best to finish this first project. I would personally wish that I would have put more effort into making the tips a bit thinner so that the pen tips are more compact and use less material.
  



I'm satisfied with my effort in making this pen.
And I hope everyone stays well. 



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rhino Paper Modeling